Friday, July 2, 2010

Nothing exciting to report....

Within the past year, I've been drawn to anything and everything nostalgic. I want to simplify our lives, have some old fashioned fun and live life to the fullest. I've come to realize that it's really and truly about the little things (with a few grand things thrown in the mix). I had this amazing idea, which was inspired by a Facebook friend (shout out to Sandy!) to create a chalkboard plaque with a pretty frame around it; and then write 5 things that make us happy on it each and every day. Simple things to remind us how much we have to be thankful for and to teach the kids that life isn't about money, fame and power. I want to proudly display it in our home, where the kids can reach it and create their own 5 things. I can't wait to get started on this project!!! I'll share photos as we create!

I'm so excited about the Fourth of July this year! Not because we're doing anything fantastic or extraordinary, but because we will just relax and have fun!!! Plans, for now, include swimming, bbqing, painting, sidewalk chalk, yard games and a walk. Our menu includes hamburgers, hot dogs, macaroni salad, baked beans, chips, pickles and olives, corn on the cob and watermelon! I also want to get some bomb pops for the kids...I think they will make great photo ops! :) I'm not sure if we'll go to any fireworks this year. Fireworks are pretty common in Orlando. Every single theme park has them almost nightly, and I've seen them hundreds of times. While they are nice and pretty, it's not something extra special..so we may skip 'em this year. Although, who knows, we may venture to Celebration for their annual old fashioned block party and fireworks; or head over to a Disney resort to catch the fireworks. We'll just have to wait and see I suppose. No matter what, though, we'll be twirling our own sparklers around, lighting some small fireworks in the driveway and watching those fun "snakes" you can burn on the ground (Alex loves these).  Are you excited???

I realize I haven't posted much about homeschooling, although Punky has been doing really well with it! I'm so proud of him! We are continuing our schooling through August, just not as strict and focused.  He's mostly reading as much as possible, studying things here and there that he enjoys, and studying math. I'm not sure if we will always do a year-round school, but I decided to this year because of evaluations. In Florida, you have to have an evaluator look at the student's work;  and they submit a form to the school district. You have one year from the date that you formally declared your child to be home schooled. For us, this date is in October. So, this year, I figured we might as well continue until the end of August and have him evaluated then. We'll start over October 1 (third grade). Anyway, he's doing really really well! The only definitive plans for this summer is to have him write a book report based on a chapter book, do some math worksheets and play math games (it's our hardest subject), and read read read read read. :) 

1 comment:

  1. Kelly, it just makes me smile every time I think about your framed chalkboard for your family's Five Things. I love, love, love that. Can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete