Saturday, June 4, 2011

New York City Trip Report, Day 3 Part 1

I woke up super, super early this morning. The sun was just barely rising over the city and as I checked out the view from bed, I noticed a gigantic cruise ship was about to pass by on the river. It was pretty neat, and made me realize just how wide the river is and how humongous downtown Manhattan truly was!

Just as I was about to jump back into bed for a few more zzz's, I heard a faint noise out in the hallway. A quick check through the peephole revealed a young woman, dressed in a formal gown and no shoes. She was yelling on her cell phone, obviously crying and very angry about something! I listened for a few minutes (yes, I'm nosy) and I realized she was talking to her mother. The night before had been this woman's bachelorette party, and her sister had done something really, really bad. I have no idea what, but clearly the mother was taking the side of the sister. All of a sudden, the girl screams a bunch of obscenities into the phone and kinda goes a little nuts. I was torn between opening the door and a)Asking her to shut was only about 6am.  b)Asking her if she needed help or c)Telling her to be quiet and then calling security. It was a very bizarre scene. By this time, Stephen had also woken up and I filled him in on the "excitement" in the hallway. Just as I was about to phone down to the lobby, the girl's friend appeared in the hallway and took her back to her room. Thank goodness. I have no idea if the girl was having a mental breakdown or if she was just crazy.

We decided to let A sleep in a little this morning. Poor kid was exhausted and was sleeping through all the commotion. In the meantime, I did a little packing and watched some morning news. Once again, it was going to be sunny and pleasant...good thing because we once again had a lot of walking to do!

After a couple of hours, we finally got A up and around and we headed out the door to the Path station. We took our time today, and walked to the station via the waterfront park in front of our hotel. The train was pretty full this morning, but we only had a few stops on the train to go. At the 23rd St. station we disembarked and started walking towards Washington Square Park.

There were a few musicians in the park that morning, including a man playing a piano he wheeled into the Square. It was pretty cool, and we had a good time taking in the sights and sounds of the city. We exited the park and started walking towards Broadway, taking left or right detours to see some shops and NYU. We walked the streets of the Village and Soho for awhile, and this worked up a pretty good appetite. We hadn't had a street hot dog yet, so Stephen and I grabbed one each (with the "special sauce" of course) at a nearby cart. A, once again, opted for a giant soft pretzel instead. We sat on a stoop in Soho and ate our little lunch in the warm sun. My hot dog was super yummy, and as soon as we got home in Florida I ended up buying the "special sauce" at Publix (Sabratt Onion Sauce). haha

All along Broadway there are a ton of shops and restaurants to check out while you are in the city. We only went to a few, as A isn't quite into shopping yet (unless it's toys for him). We did spend a few minutes in the Scholastic Store where we purchased more Lego mini figures for A, a wooden subway train for Am and Blueberries for Sal for both kids. Am is a blueberry fiend so I just had to get it, plus the story and illustrations make it a must-have for any home library.  After leaving the store, we stopped in Pearl River Mart to browse through all the wonderful Asian goods. I believe we only purchased candy, but it was fun looking at all the cool fabrics, toys, housewares and clothing. A was especially intrigued with the swords.

By the time we hit Chinatown, A was super,duper crabby. I think all the walking was finally starting to get to him. I have no pictures of Chinatown for various reasons. One being no one was in the mood for pictures. Two, it was so incredibly crowded I would no way risk taking out my camera at this point. And three, unless you wanted to see wall to wall people, it wasn't very photo worthy. I would have loved to take some pictures of some of the storefronts, etc but A was not about to venture down some of the side streets. All he wanted to do was sit down, and to be honest, I didn't blame him. Luckily there is a McDonalds on just about every corner in NYC, so we spotted the one on Canal Street near where we were and headed in. Unfortunately, it was also incredibly crowded in here as well. Stephen bought some chicken nuggets and fries for everybody, while A and I found a quiet table on the top floor. It was a much needed break for all of us. I don't think I would have picked McDonalds, but it's A's favorite and he was so cranky, we decided it was better to make him happy than deal with the nastiness the rest of the day. It did do the trick (for the most part), so it was worth it in the end!

After our little pit stop, we quickly found the subway station and zoomed down to the southern tip of the island. We had a date to see the Statue of Liberty! This is a picture of of our subway station exit/entrance in Battery Park.

Next up, Lady Liberty and the best burger EVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment